Second Opinions & Referrals
Accepting Second Opinions
- We regularly have clients come to us seeking a second opinion on treatment.
- We are more than happy to provide second opinions.
- Please appreciate that we will need to get your pet’s previous medical records, which is necessary to get a full understanding of your pet’s medical history.
When we recommend a Referral to a Specialist
- Some cases can be complicated and lay outside our areas of expertise which may require the input of a Specialist veterinary surgeon.
- Specialist veterinary surgeons focus on a particular area of veterinary medicine.
- If one of our vets thinks specialist input may be beneficial, they will discuss the possibility of a referral with you.
- We comfortably discuss the possible use of specialists and associated benefits on the merits of each case.
- If referral is agreed with you, then we will arrange an appointment directly with the specialist along with the necessary paperwork and supporting documentation.
Asking for a Second Opinion or Referral
- We make every effort to pool our veterinary knowledge and the veterinary team discuss cases on regular rounds.
- However, if you have any questions regarding the treatment plan for your loved one, in the first instance, please ask your vet.
- If you would like a second opinion from one of another of our vets we will gladly do so.
- Alternatively, you may want a second opinion from another practice for peace of mind or referral to a specialist.
- Don’t worry, we won’t take it personally. Our primary goal is healthcare and the best interests of your pet.
- The key to a successful treatment plan is communication between all. So please feel comfortable to discuss any aspects of your care including referrals or second opinions with us.